If you’re looking for a city that has it all, then look no further than Washington DC. From historic landmarks to stunning museums, there is no shortage of things to see and do in America’s capital city. But with so much on offer, where do you even start? Fear not, fellow travelers, for I have compiled a list of the 15 most amazing things to do in Washington DC - all of which are guaranteed to leave you with memories that will last a lifetime! So buckle up, hold on tight, and get ready to explore the very best that DC has to offer.
1. Visit the Smithsonian Museums - From the National Air and Space Museum to the National Portrait Gallery, DC's Smithsonian Museums cover every topic imaginable. And the best part? They’re all free!
2. Take a stroll through the National Mall - The National Mall is home to many of DC's iconic landmarks like the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. And the best time to visit? At night when everything is lit up!
3. Get lost in the Library of Congress - The hallway alone is worth the visit, but this stunning masterpiece of Beaux Arts architecture also boasts the largest collection of books in the world.
4. Go underground at Dupont Circle - Dupont Circle is home to a bustling neighborhood and a stunning fountain. But it is also home to one of the city's most mysterious subway stations. Why is it so mysterious? You’ll have to find out for yourself.
5. Visit Ford’s Theatre - Visit the space where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated and learn more about the events that led up to that fateful night. You can even see the bed where Lincoln lay while he was being treated!
6. Explore the National Zoo - See everything from giant pandas and gorillas to naked mole-rats and tigers. The National Zoo is a must-visit for animal lovers young and old.
7. Get cultured at the Kennedy Center - Enjoy some of the best art and culture in the world at one of DC’s most beloved theatres. With everything from musicals to operas, there’s something for everyone at the Kennedy Center.
8. Try the best food in town at Union Market - This artisanal food market features everything from fresh seafood to innovative dishes and gives visitors the chance to sample some of the best cuisine that DC has to offer.
9. Visit the International Spy Museum - Learn about the mysterious world of espionage and brush up on your spy skills while you’re at it.
10. Take a dip in the Potomac River - Whether you’re looking to paddle or swim, the Potomac River is the perfect place for a dip on a hot day.
11. Explore the city's many murals - From Dupont Circle to Shaw, DC is covered in vibrant and stunning murals that are a feast for the eyes.
12. Get moving on the Capital Crescent Trail - This 11-mile trail is perfect for hiking, biking or kayaking, and the views of the Potomac River are incomparable.
13. Visit the historic Eastern Market - Dating back to 1873, this marketplace is one of DC’s oldest attractions. With everything from fresh produce to artisanal crafts, it has everything you need for a perfect day out.
14. Enjoy a drink at one of DC’s most historic bars - From the famous Hawk ‘n' Dove to the equally renowned Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington DC is full of historic bars that have been serving up some of the city’s best drinks for decades.
15. Take a selfie at the Watergate Hotel - A historic hotel that is famously associated with one of the biggest political scandals in modern American history - what more could you ask for in a photo-op?
Washington DC is a city that is bursting with amazing things to see and do. From the iconic landmarks and world-class museums to the secret gems that only locals know about, DC has something for everyone. So, whether you’re a history buff looking to learn more about America's past, a foodie looking to try some of the best cuisine in the city, or simply a traveler looking for a good time, DC is the perfect destination. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and get ready to experience all that this amazing city has to offer!